You may already have this small list memorized, but it's worth repeating for those that do not. In addition, you may know which fruits are toxic but may be wondering why exactly that is; though surprisingly the exact mechanism of the poisoning is unknown for a couple of these. Let's sort through this:
Dogs can NOT eat:
- There is a lot of misleading info about this fruit. It does contain a toxic, called persin, that poisonous to other animals (most notably birds and cattle), but not to dogs. Some sources list this as a fruit toxic to canines for that reason alone even if it doesn't make sense. However, the size
and shape of this is considered a possible choking hazard for dogs when given whole and if a dog hypothetically swallowed an avocado (which an adult Boxer dog could do), the large seed could cause internal blockage.
Grapes & Raisins
- In 2004, the Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) officially announced that grapes and raisins were toxic to dogs. But, oddly, there are only theories about why canines can become very ill. It is
clear that ingestion can cause a toxicity that in turn leads to acute kidney failure. If a dog were to accidentally ingest grapes or raisins (and studies show that it's even more dangerous when the two are eaten together), this is considered an immediate medical emergency. Treatment includes induced vomiting (if it has been under 2 hours), activated charcoal, IV intervention and blood dialysis.
- Current berries, often used to make jams and jellies, are toxic to a moderate degree. The black ones are more potent than the red; though ingestion by a dog of any type of current berry or product made with them can be dangerous. The exact element that canines react to is unknown.
- The actual flesh of this fruit is okay for dogs to eat, however it is on the list of 'do not eat' because it is awfully tedious to pit a cherry and the pits are toxic, as with many seeded fruits.
Any cores or pits of any fruit
- No doubt you know that the seeds and pits of just about all fruits are toxic to dogs. You may be surprised to know exactly why this is. They contain amygdalin, which is a type of cyanide and sugar compound. When this is metabolized, it degrades into hydrogen cyanide. Hydrogen cyanide is terribly toxic. If it enters the body, it cuts off the blood's ability to carry oxygen and often leads to death. But a person (or even a dog) wouldn't die if they swallowed
one apple seed and this is because the seeds are protected by a super hard coating that allows them to pass through the digestive system intact.
Dogs have much sharper teeth than humans and a stronger bite force (though bite force is less with small, toy sized dogs of course).
Since dogs can hypothetically crush seeds, releasing the poison, this is why it is so risky for them to chew on any pit, core or seeds.